- Groups & Projects
- Services & Commissions
- This event has passed.
Spring Screening: I Daniel Blake (2016)
28th February 2017 at 6:00pm - 9:00pmFree – £4.00
Spring Screening with Blackpool Food Partnership & Fair Trade Fortnight
Dir: Ken Loach
Duration: 1h 40 mins
• Winner – Palme d’Or – Cannes Film Festival 2016
• Winner – Prize of the Ecumenical Jury – Special Mention – Cannes Film Festival 2016
• Winner – Audience Award – Locarno International Film Festival 2016
• Winner – Audience Award – San Sebastián International Film Festival 2016
• Winner – Outstanding British Film – British Academy Film Awards 2017
Daniel Blake (59) has worked as a joiner most of his life in Newcastle. Now, for the first time ever, he needs help from the State. He crosses paths with single mother Katie and her two young children, Daisy and Dylan. Katie’s only chance to escape a one-roomed homeless hostel in London has been to accept a flat in a city she doesn’t know, some 300 miles away.
Daniel and Katie find themselves in no-man’s land, caught on the barbed wire of welfare bureaucracy as played out against the rhetoric of ‘striver and skiver’ in modern-day Britain.
Cost: Pay what you can. Suggested £4
Book online: Pre-pay or reserve ‘donate on the door’ tickets.
It’s Fair Trade fortnight, so we have refreshments:
– Fairtrade Tea/coffee included
– It’s also Shrove Tuesday if you would like pancakes with toppings, please bring a donation for Blackpool Food Partnership to exchange for your treats. Non-perishable food is great, but cartons of long-life milk are ideal as they are in high demand.